Monday, January 25, 2016

AltArs
What They Are & What They Are Not
 Why We Have Them

   Animal Sacrifice?
Many people have misconceptions about altars. Over the years I have heard it all from, “Isn’t an altar a place where you sacrifice animals?” to “It’s sacrilegious to have an altar!”
  So, let’s get this cleared up. No. I do not sacrifice animals or anything else on my altar or anywhere! Second, it is not only not sacrilegious but it is in fact a way to honor where you came from and all that is important to you.
Why Have an Altar
  But now you are wondering why? Or maybe, hopefully, “Should I have an altar?” Yes, you definitely should. I have several but to the untrained eye it just looks like I have decorated shelves and table tops.
  The “Why?” is easy; because an altar is a reminder to you when you pray, and all throughout your day, of what means the most to you. It helps to bring your mind, heart and your very priorities back to focus!  Isn’t that something we should all do then?
What is an Altar? You Ask...
  So what is an altar and how do you make your own? I’m so glad you asked. Very simply it is just an area, (table top, night stand, shelf, even an area on the floor), where you assemble some things that are sentimental and remind you of what is important to you. Think of it as a physical manifestation of your mission statement. You DO have a mission statement, don’t you? 
What Do I Place on My Altar?
For instance you may want a picture or several pictures of loved ones, living or passed on. An altar is a great place for a picture or statue of your deity, whether it is Christ, Buddha or whomever. You may want a piece of jewelry with sentimental value, something someone made for you, a souvenir from a wonderful vacation. It can be anything of significance to you. It is also a great place to put pictures of things that you are working on manifesting in your life. If you need a new car, put a picture, or better yet, a small model of the car you are going to get. In addition to these things you should also have a white candle and some sort of living plant or a cut flower in a vase. You can make it look nice by putting a decorative cloth or scarf under everything.
Where Should My Altar Be?
  Ideally your altar should be in a place of solitude where you can kneel and pray, uninterrupted, whenever you wish. This may be challenging for young mothers since no place is off limits to kids but you get the idea. Just do the best you can. The altar will remind you to kneel in prayer, not just once, but perhaps a few times throughout the day. We all need all the help we can get so why do we forget to ask the most powerful resource we have for His/Her help? And since you are kneeling there anyway why don’t you also give thanks for all that you have? I know if someone was always asking me for favors but never thanked me when I did things for them I might get a bit tired of it. Ha ha! I guess I’m not as patient as God, but I still think that thanks are always in order!
It's Simple, So Just Do It!
  Remember, an altar is simple. It represents you, your priorities and what you love. It is a simple reminder for you, in your daily life, to slow down, take a breath and PRAY.


Check out my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu23MlIEUbvytwOLQ62UZGQ
or by looking me up by name; Karma Cristie 
I have a series of 10 short videos titled: "Learning to Love Yourself" and the first topic is "How to have a meditation practice in just 5 minutes a day!" I hope you enjoy it!
www.aMeditationCelebration.com



No comments:

Playlist